Wednesday, October 25, 2006

 

Amazon Credit Card Story Part 1 (Halifax/Affinity Cards/Mastercard)

As a regular Amazon user I thought it would be a good idea to take out an Amazon credit card. Boy in hindsight what a mistake. A mistake I wish to help others avoid, or at least help influence their decisions based on my experiences.

I had the card for only 1 month before I was pretty much forced to cancel it. I've now spent 2 stressful months to date trying to break free from the relationship, without success. Instead I continue to receive daily harassment and ongoing complete incompetence and the most disastrous attitude.

For the benefit of others I will provide an overview of my experience to date by means of quoting the various correspondences.

The people I feel really bad for are people on low incomes and with poor education as they tactics employed are even hard for me to continually bear (I’m a company director and used to disputes for example); I receive 2-3 harassment calls per day now. Yet the situation is extremely simple and even people inside the Halifax (who provide the Amazon credit card) agree whole heartedly that I am being mistreated, but appear unable to help.

*** WARNING DO NOT TAKE OUT AN AMAZON CREDIT CARD – TREAT THIS AS A REVIEW ***

On receiving the VERY FIRST bill, I went to login to pay the card and instead found I had to blow a whole morning on the telephone getting nowhere trying to inform somebody that the Internet login was not working. The problem was further compounded by the fact that nobody knew who was responsible and all parties pointed to each other. Once I got dizzy with the phone number loops and a morning wasted I fired this email off to Amazon:

21st August 2006
---------------------

I received my Amazon credit card recently and as I have the first bill looming and the first statement failed to arrive (I've reported it) I decided to view it online and went to:

www.amazon.co.uk/halifax

This then asked for Amazon username/password and then redirected me to here:

https://www.partnerandaffinitycards.co.uk/Servicing/Logon.aspx?brand=AMZ01

This page then states:

"To access the site you will need your Internet ID and password.

You created your Internet ID and password when you registered your account for the online servicing. [how the hell do you register the account for online servicing is the question. Nobody seemed to know the answer]

If you don't have your Internet ID and password available please ring our customer services team [which feckin number?] or refer to your Online Service Guide for further information [where is this?]. Unfortunately you will not be able to access your account without this information."

The page contains both an Amazon and a Halifax logo and provides no number to call. I proceeded as follows:

0845 850 7617 amazon card services, said it was nothing to do with them (!) and to call the following number:

0845 6020000 halifax, they said it was Amazon customer services that should be called as it was nothing to do with them:

0800 2796620 amazon cust services -> Said I should call Mastercard and it was certainly the right number:

0800 3896677 mastercard -> Said they only deal with new applications and to call Halifax on:

0845 850 7617 halifax serving -> Said to call Affinity cards on the following number:

0845 850 0519 Affinity cards -> Said it was easy and to simply register at:

https://www.partnerandaffinitycards.co.uk/Servicing/RegisterAuthenticate.aspx?brand=AMZ01

After entering my details (authentication) the site then spits back:

"Out of service Sorry, but the system is not available at the moment."

When I call back Affinity cards they just say yes there is a problem.

So I had wasted a morning on the phone calling numbers, being presented with deep IVR menu trees, long hold music, speaking with intellectually challenged zombies just to find out that the Internet login service was down anyway!

I left the issue for some days waiting on a response from Amazon that never came. I hoped that the login issue would now be fixed as the lady at Affinity cards said the online login should “only” be down for some hours. But no, even days later the online registration that I badly needed to pay the bill was still not working. I asked to register over the phone but was told I had to do it online BUT I could not since it was still DOWN!

I tried calling Amazon Customer services on the 23rd but got nowhere (later on I would find out that the retarded agent that day instead screwed my login to Amazon itself, so the call just created more problems to come). So I had no choice but to fire yet another email off to Amazon:

24th August 2006 (morning)
------------------------------------

I emailed Amazon on 21st August. Site said expect a 24 hour response. I still had no response by 23rd August so rang Amazon customer services around 8:30am (International call). The person who answered the phone said he would respond to the email within 15 minutes and it was clear he was doing his best to get off the phone ASAP (to clear calls quick I guess).

It is now the 24th and no response so I have to email again! Given much more of this I am going to tell Amazon to stick their card up their ass and put my experience into writing to them and to every concerned forum I can find.

By lunchtime I was so gut sick of the situation I decided just to cancel the card because if it was THIS BAD I was better to cancel it after the very first month as I could not afford the vast amounts of time and stress they were consuming – all I wanted was an online login so that I could pay the damned first bill!

I called up Halifax Bank of Scotland who are the people behind the card and said that I wished to cancel the card because I could not login and there was no help or will to resolve the situation; in addition it seemed the arm was not speaking to the leg in that no party seemed to know who was responsible for what (too many cooks came to mind – Amazon, Affinity Cards, Halifax and Mastercard).

I was told that before Halifax could cancel the Amazon credit card I had to clear the card in full (a few thousand pounds). I said fine and went to give switch (debit card) number and they informed me that they do not take payments over the phone (no phone payments and the issue is I can not pay by Internet!). So I called my bank and issued a BACS transfer of what they categorically told me was the full balance. I called them back and said that I had cleared the balance and to please cancel the card.

The Halifax (operators of the Amazon credit card) said I had to speak to a customer retention agent before I could cancel and after a long queue it was answered by Rachel in customer retention. She was far from a person to retain customers and read a few scripts with an attitude of “don’t give shit” this is all a fun game and lets see if we can wind the customer up. After she had read her unappealing scripts she asked if I still wanted to cancel, I said yes. She said that I could not cancel as 53 pence (yes half a pound) was still to clear. I informed her that I was told categorically by the agent before her what the balance was so it was not my mistake. Furthermore I asked her to waiver it to save everyone time. But no, she wanted the 53 pence even though it was the fault of the previous agent (for giving me the wrong total balance). I hung up, called my bank again (international call) and issued a BACS transfer for 53 pence!

I called Halifax back again and repeated that I wished to cancel the card. This time I was told that the card was cancelled in full.

I then fired off the following email to Amazon:

24th August 2006 (afternoon)
------------------------------------

Went to login online and still could not register at:

https://www.partnerandaffinitycards.co.uk/Servicing/RegisterAuthenticate.aspx?brand=AMZ01

Called Halifax as Amazon don't even reply to emails. They do not even take telephone payments! So I have done a BACS transfer to clear the entire

balance and CANCELLED the card! What a waste of time that was. Cancelled after first bill. (note that URL I gave has Amazon logo on it)

All Amazon has achieved is great brand damage and a complete waste of time.

Please have someone SENIOR review my emails and come back to me.

The summary so far: I ordered an Amazon credit card (they partner with Halifax, Mastercard and Affinity Cards to supply this). I had not received the first bill so I had decided to login online to check balance. I could not login as you needed to register. I burnt off a whole morning trying to find out which of the companies you need to register with since they all said each other in a loop. Eventually I obtained the details but then found out that the online service was down. I waited days but it was still down and the payment time was looming. Since nobody seemed bothered about fixing it I cancelled the card.


Comments:
this company is the shittest i have ever dealt with too!!!!
bad bad bad service!!!! I tried to email them through their 'contact us' section on the website (which i amazingly managed to get on with log on details - it too a while to get them too!!!!) so anyway, you go and type your message to them, only to be presented with an error - max of 255 characters! Taking the piss or what???? It couls stop u form typing when it comes to the end of the 255 characters! I ended up changing almost all of the bloody wording so that it was just like a text message - although i would be able to fit more in a pissing text!!!
Grrrrr. they rile me this company! And what is with these bloomin Loyalty points?? I dont even know how to redeem them cos it doesnt tell you how to on your statement or on the net! ANNOYED!! VERY ANNOYED! GGRRRR!
 
My partner and I signed up for the Amazon Credit Card in late June 2007. In early July I called to make sure they had received my details and that they were processing my order, they said that they had and that I should receive my pin number within the next few days and my card would follow 7-10 working days later. So my pin arrives on the Monday, 'great' I think, I wait for 9 days and still no card - so I call them, I was told that the card would arrive within the next three days - I asked why but they couldn't give me an accurate answer. So I wait another three days, still no card - so I call them. The person I spoke to informs me that my card had been 'dispatched' two weeks ago and that it must have been lost in the post. He re-orders me a card and tells me that a new pin and new card will be dispatched within 7-10 working days. So I wait 7 days, no new pin has arrived and no card has arrived either - so I call them, they inform me that I won't get a new pin as the old one will work with it and they also tell me that my card had been disptached four days ago - I'm told that it will arrive within the next two days. I ponder this a little and decide to call back in the afternoon, I am then told that the card is still 'pending' and therefore has not been dispatched and that I must wait a further 7 days. By this time I begin to wonder what the hell is happening with this company. I called them a third time later in the afternoon and speak to manager who informed me that since an expiry date has been issued to my account, the card must have been dispatched and I'm told to wait until this coming Wednesday. Anyway, I was curious as to whether I was being told the truth, so I called them again in the evening and was told that the card will infact be another 7 days - apparently the expiry date does not mean the card has been dispatched.

They are a waste of time.

Ok, now my partner never received her card either - she got a pin, but no card. She is a little more patient than me and decided to simply wait. So today, after almost 5 weeks of no card, she called them and was first told that the card had never even been dispatched and was given an 0800 number to call and chase up why. She thought this was odd so she called them again and was THEN told that the card HAD been dispatched but had been sent back to them. They are currently re-ordering a card for her.

Again, they are a waste of space.
 
I just got my first statement for Amazon mastercard and want to pay, they say pay online through my bank but no account number on statement, so i called, held on for ages, gave up then decided to go on site to pay that way but www.amazon.co.uk/halifax just takes me into Amazon sales. Have now come across this site and comments so now going to send them a cheque and cut up the card.
 
I have now had my Amazon CC for 9 months, having gone through all of this trouble. First no one knew where my card was, so I had to wait for a month to get it dispatched; then the whole sorry business with the login which had no appropriate link even in my Amazon account! What I did was fire a written complaint to Halifax, they liaised with Affinity cards, and I got 1 extra month of both purchases and balance transfers at 0%. I enjoyed that by maxing it out (consolidating all other debts) and now I just got a new card to transfer all that balance to and enjoy another 15 months without interest! Amazon just gives me vouchers without me ever paying any interest to them. Who loses??
 
Hello, were you able to find out direct email to Halifax customers service? I am trying to complain directly but I am unable to find any contact. Thank, Fero
 
I have managed to close it. Call the number behind your amazon card. 0845 850 7617. then you can safely close it from there. You might need to arm yourself with some security answers. cheers.

JimmerMG at www.mirageglobe.com
 
I have managed to close it. Call the number behind your amazon card. 0845 850 7617. then you can safely close it from there. You might need to arm yourself with some security answers. cheers.

JimmerMG at www.mirageglobe.com
 
yeah i got fucked
 
I signed up for one and had an exceedingly difficult time with their customer abuse line trying to sort out on-line access. Now they have charged me twice a £12 fee for exceeding their credit limit - even though [1] it was repaid immediately [2] the charge was completely disproportionate to the excess [3] they granted me far more credit than I actually took [4] I always settled in full [5] the never told me about the charge, just slapped it on the next statement by which time it was aparently impossible to rectify the situation without incuring a further charge.

They send standard replies that are not appropriate. They make bland statements about how sorry they are i needed to contact them and then refuse to make any compromise over their charges.

Whatever incentive they offer isn't enough to compensate for the hassle you get.

If you email them they nearly always say they can't accept emails for security reasons which is of course rubbish because you have already emailed them and assumed the risk.

I think they fully deserve to be on the Shit Companies blog!
 
I have to say I must be a rare breed, as I have been reasonably satisfied with the service.
I seem to remember that when I ordered the card I was registered for the online servicing area. Nice and straightforward.
After an initial use, I didn't use my card for about 6 months. When I forgot my internet login details, I was able to get details reset easily and get back on. When I forgot my PIN, they sent that out quicker than Halifax send out their own PINs!
I had some trouble getting hold of my first reward voucher, so when I contacted Amazon, they were so kind as to offer me an additional voucher whilst I waited for the one I had earned.
I'm a little puzzled by one comment regarding fines. All Credit Card companies will fine you if you go overlimit. That's business, just deal with it.
I say, as with any Credit Card, decide what you want and make sure that the company will offer it to you before you sign up. Make sure that you can manage your card before you start spending with it. All things considered, I'm pretty happy.
 
this type of problem is very common now in this economy. These companys will do anything to get an extra 10 out of the customers pocket. The strategy is like this; give the customer an unfair $20 charge that they must either pay or give them the option of accepting higher than agreed upon interest rates and another round of late penalties.

as far as finding out how to get in touch with employees who can be of assistand; www.who.is provides info for any web address or email account, you will get a phone number, official business address, associated web addresses and contact email for "real" people.

This site works so well that often people inquire "how I got there number" don't tell them though or they will find a way to change it.
 
Hey - guess what. Just received a letter from HBOS saying the Halifax Mastercard / Amazon relationship is coming to an end!!! So looks like I'll have to find another way of accruing amazon gift certificates
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?